So you are interested in competing in weightlifting. Here are some steps to get started.[caption id="attachment_607" align="alignnone" width="300"]
Chara at Weightlifting Youth Nationals[/caption]
- Find a coach. Not all coaches are created equal. Make sure you learn: who they have coached, their background as an athlete, and how many people they currently coach and at what ages and levels. Here is a list of USA Weightlifting Clubs.
- Register as a USA Weightlifting member.
- Get weightlifting shoes. I personally prefer either Nike Romaleos or Adidas Adipower.
- You will most likely need a singlet for your first competition so go ahead and get that.
- Signup for your first competition. Here is a link to local competitions.